The Serbian tennis superstar Novak Djokovic faces an anxious wait to decide whether he will be able to play his US Open third-round match on Friday after having to struggle with a shoulder injury pain.

Novak Djokovic says he will have to undergo treatment with medical experts, hoping to be fit in time for his third-round match on Friday after his shoulder problems in his match with Juan Ignacio Londero.

Novak Djokovic undergo treatment with medical experts

Early in the first set of the match, the world No 1 was spotted wincing in pain after hitting 2 backhands and called for the tournament trainer.

He took a medical time out, receiving a massage to his upper left arm.

And as he resumed playing, the speed on his groundstrokes and serves noticeably dropped. However, he was still able to win the first set 6-4.

Then Djokovic had further treatment before starting the second set and found himself a double break down to Londero before leading 5-3.

Despite being broken as serving for the set, Djokovic won it in a tiebreak and raced through the third set in order to seal his place in the next round.

Although he was reluctant to talk about the shoulder injury during his on-court interview, he was more forthcoming in his press conference and gave a worrying assessment as claiming that he wasn’t sure whether he would be able to finish the match when the injury pain was at its worst.         

Djokovic told reporters that he had to take time to address the injury that he had.

“It has caused hindrance to my match for sure tonight, particularly with the serve and backhand. It’s not easy to play with this sensation, to be honest. I didn’t experience that many times in my career.”, he said.

“I was lucky to find my way back in the second set and win in the straight sets. I had obviously a medical timeout, you saw. And at the changeovers, I tried to use within the rules as much as possible for physiotherapy and medical help. That has definitely helped me stay in the match.”

He then confessed that the problem has hindered him for at least two weeks with increasing levels of pain. However, he hoped that with proper medical help and treatments, he would be able to get better in a few days.